A whole person approach to health and wellbeing
Physiotherapy is a degree-based healthcare profession that takes a ‘whole person’ approach to health and wellbeing, which includes the patient’s general lifestyle. One of the most important aspects of Physiotherapy is the patient’s involvement in their own care, through education, encouragement and participation in their treatment.
Physiotherapists can helps a wide variety of injuries and conditions. These include:
- Neuromusculoskeletal (Back Pain, Joint Pain, Sports Injuries, Arthritis)
- Neurological (Parkinson’s, Stroke, Multiple Sclerosis)
- Cardiovascular (Heart Attack Rehabilitation, Chronic Heart Disease)
- Respiratory (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Asthma, Bronchiectasis, Cystic Fibrosis)
What to Expect on your 1st Physiotherapy Appointment?
The first step will involve an initial consultation where the Physiotherapist will ask about your medical history, history of your current issue, social history, your expectations and your goals. This will be followed by an in-depth assessment (please wear shorts and a vest or comfortable sports wear) this will include analysing your movement, checking your muscle range of motion and strength, joint stability and nerve mobility.
Once the assesment is complete the Physiotherapist will give you their clinical diagnosis, followed by the necessary treatment plan required to treat the issue. The treatment will aim to restore maximum function by reducing pain and stiffness, increasing range of movment and strength and correcting any bio mechanical issues. This will allow you to return to optimum functioning as soon as possible.
At the Body Life Clinic, Cavan our Physiotherapy treatment may include:
- Advice and Education
- Soft Tissue Release (our Physiotherapists have a ‘hands on’ approach)
- Muscle Energy Techniques
- Myofascial Release
- Exercise and Stretching Prescription
- Sports Specific Rehabilitation
- Postural Correction Advice
- Medical Orthotics
In some cases Physiotherapy may not be the best solution to your issue and we may refer you to anorther Healthcare Professional if we suspect anything which would require further investigation.